Floating and sinking
Lesson idea. This activity is based on materials that float and sink; also mass in air and mass when there is an up-thrust.
Teaching approach. This activity supports a number of learning types:
- small group work(ta) - investigation conducted by small groups reporting back to the class.
- whole class(ta) dialogue(ta) - discussion of each situation open-ended questions(ta) – why did this happen? what do you think causes this movement?
- peer assessment(ta) – do peers agree?
- project work – linked in with the rest of the activities in this OER, topic work in design and technology, literacy, numeracy.
- inquiry(ta)-based learning – initial presentation to the class can be framed as a problem for them to solve; co-enquiry – children working collaboratively
- arguing and reasoning(ta) – persuading each other of their explanations.
- exploring ideas – developing understanding of key scientific principles.
|Title||What floats and what sinks|
|Learning Objectives|| |
|Age of students / grade|| |
|Related ORBIT Wiki Resources|
|Files and resources to view and download|
This resource was adapted from resources and original ideas contributed by Paul Warwick, at the Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge.