Listening - a chocolate maker describes how it’s done/Prompts
From OER in Education
Questions and discussion prompts
Chocolatière Cheryl Brighty, of Artistry in Cocoa, tells how chocolate is made from a cocoa pod. Speaking to Nicola Terry, she describes how fermenting, conching and careful cooling leads to the tastiest of materials known to civilisation.
- Chocolate comes from the tree Theobroma cacao. How does the pod come to be?
- Describe what is inside a cocoa pod.
- Describe fermentation and roasting of cocoa beans:
- Describe how the cocoa nibs are turned into a ‘sludge’ (= cocoa mass):
- What is the purpose of the process called ‘conching’?
- What does tempering chocolate achieve?
- How does different cooling and different crystal shapes affect the chocolate?
- How does the chocolatier control the cooling of the chocolate?
- Research the difference between white and brown chocolate.
- Research to find what is 'couverture'.